Mediator | Arbitrator
Hon. Gregory T. Perkes
Texas Justice Center
4900 Fournace Place, Suite 200
Bellaire, Texas 77401
Tel: (361) 813-8003
As a former Justice for the 13th Court of Appeals for six years, Greg Perkes has heard and rendered legal opinion on hundreds of cases involving litigants from 20 counties in Texas including: Aransas, Bee, Calhoun, Cameron, De Witt, Goliad, Gonzales, Hidalgo, Jackson, Kenedy, Kleberg, Lavaca, Live Oak, Matagorda, Nueces, Refugio, San Patricio, Victoria, Wharton, and Willacy.
Perkes’ certification in Mediation, and 20 plus years of appellate and trial experience, along with his judicial service, gives him a unique perspective and advantage in appellate cases, dispute resolution and business law.
His extensive legal and business contacts throughout the Coastal Bend, including Corpus Christi, Victoria and the Rio Grande Valley, allows him the ability to successfully resolve cases throughout a wide section of South Texas.
Areas of Expertise
- St. Mary’s University School of Law, JD, 1987
- University of Texas at Austin, BA in Zoology, 1983.
Memberships, Affiliations & Licenses
- Former Justice, 13th Court of Appeals
- Phi Delta Phi Legal Honor Fraternity.
- Sr. Associate Editor of St. Mary’s Law Journal (published).
- Tie for American Jurisprudence Award in Contract Law.
- American Jurisprudence Award in Police Misconduct-Civil Rights Litigation.
- Basic and Advanced Mediation Certificates from Mediators & Arbitrators of America.
- Basic and Advanced Arbitration Certificates from Mediators & Arbitrators of America.
- TMCA Credentialed Mediator by the Texas Mediator Credentialing Association.
- National Judicial College’s Advanced Skills for Appellate Judges Program.
- New York University School of Law, Dwight D. Opperman Institute of Judicial Administration
New Appellate Judges Series (honor and distinction).
- Texas Center for the Judiciary’s College for New Judges (honor and distinction).
- Board certified in Civil Appellate Law by Texas Board of Legal Specialization since 1995.
- Licensed to practice in State of Texas and before United States District Courts for the Southern District of Texas; United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit; and Supreme Court of the United States.
- Consistent AV peer review rating from Martindale Hubbell (Attorney and Judicial Recognitions).
- Fellow of the College of the State Bar, 25+ years.
- Fellow of the American Bar Foundation.
- Member of Association of Attorney-Mediators.
- SBA/SBDC Small Business Champion Award.
- Judge Paul W. Nye Professionalism Award.
- Cameron County Bar Association’s Outstanding Service Award.
- Rotary Club’s Paul Harris Fellow
- Memberships in Bar Association for U.S. Supreme Court; Bar Association for Fifth Federal Circuit; American Bar Association; and State Bar of Texas, including Judicial and Civil Appellate Law sections.
- Served on Texas Center for Judiciary’s Board of Directors and State Bar of Texas Judicial
Section’s Legislative Committee.
- Served on State Bar of Texas Appellate Council and currently serving on Texas Board of Legal
Specialization’s Civil Appellate Law Advisory Commission.
- Served on Board of Directors for Corpus Christi, Cameron County, and Hidalgo County Bar Associations
- Previously Co-Editor for The Appellate Advocate, State Bar of Texas Appellate Section Report.
- Member, Texas Association of Mediators.
- Written and spoken on numerous legal topics such as “Civil Trial Law,” “Civil Appellate Law,” “Original Proceedings-The Writ of Mandamus,” “Interlocutory Appeals,” “Summary Judgments,” “Default Judgments,” “Primer on Civil Appellate Law,” “Summary Judgment – A Practice in Transition,” “Tips for Appellate Briefing,” and “The Trial Attorney’s Best Ally – The Civil Appellate Specialist.”
- Leadership Corpus Christi Graduate, Board of Governors, Board of Directors, and multiple Class Steering Committees.
- Corpus Christi and Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors, Corpus Christi Mustang, and Corpus Christi Bucarader.
- Corpus Christi Rotary Club Board of Directors and Sergeant of Arms; District Lieutenant Governor.
- Boy Scouts of America, including Eagle Scout, Assistant Scoutmaster, Woodbadge Award, Local Unit Commissioner and Woodbadge Guide for BSA South Texas Council.
Local Areas Served
- Houston, TX